Basic Sabnzbd Configuration
Basic Sabnzbd Configuration
1. This configuration guide come after HTPCBuild.com’s Sabnzbd Install Guide for Windows.
2. Find your Sabnzbd executable file, and launch the program. For Windows, navigate to your Start Menu -> All Program -> SABnzbd and click on the SABnzbd shortcut. Give your computer a few moments, and a web browser will launch with the Sabnzbd configuration wizard. Select your language and click “Start Wizard”.
Note: If this does not occur please launch a browser and navigate to http://localhost:8080/sabnzbd/.
3. The next page will request your usenet service information. Simply fill out the usenet server host address, server host port, your username, your password, and the number of connections your service plan allows. Once filled, click the “Test Connection” and if done correctly you should see “Connection Successful”. If you you see any other message, please double check your usenet information. When done, click “Next”.
If you don’t have Usenet, please go to our Getting Usenet guide.
!!!!!! I STRONGLY recommend using SSL encryption when available !!!!!!
NOTE: When using SSL encryption, you may need to change your host name. Some hosting companies have SSL dedicated hostnames while others do not, please check. You will also need to change your port to your usenet service SSL port. The default is usually 119 or 563. Don’t forget to also check mark the “SSL” check box.
4. Upon clicking next, you will be prompted to confirm Sabnzbd’s access configuration. Depending on your needs, you may select a different configuration that the one outline here.
To quickly break down the options:
- I want SABnzbd to be viewable from any pc on my network.
- I want SABnzbd to be viewable from my pc only.
Choosing the first option allows you to check Sabnzbd’s webpage from other computers on your network. It also is a must if you plan on using third party apps on computers other than the host computer. For example, you can use your laptop to queue up a download to your Sabhzbd host. You can also use andriod or Ipod apps to query Sabnzbd’s status.
Choosing the second option will limit access to Sabnzbd’s webpage to the host computer. Third party apps on the host computer will be able to access Sabnzbd, but third party apps on another computer will not.
NOTE: These settings can be changed in Sabnzbd’s Config page.
If you wish, you can setup a username and password for Sabnzbd. Simply check mark the “Password protect access to SABnzbd (recommended)” and fill in your desired username and password. Sabnzbd also provides HTTPS access, simply check mark the “Enable HTTPS access to SABnzbd” check box.
Lastly, I recommend unchecking the “Launch my internet browser with the SABnzbd page when the program starts”. Whether or not you have decided to make SABnzbd viewable to other pcs, third party apps will enable you to control Sabnzbd without needing to visit the Sabnzbd page. If you need to visit the Sabnzbd page, navigate to http://localhost:8080/sabnzbd/ or http://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:8080/sabnzbd/.
NOTE: XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX is the ip address of your server. Also note that 8080 is Sabnzbd’s default port, if you have changed the port you will need to adjust your address.
Once you’ve finalized your choices, click “Next”.
5. This is the last step of basic Sabnzbd configuration. On this page, you can enter your NZB Index information. Currently Sabnzbd only supports NewsBin and NZBmatrix. For NewsBin, you will need to provide your username and password. For NZBMatrix, you will need to provide your username and API key.
NOTE: NZBMatrix’s API key is only available to VIP members. The API key can be found under “Your Account”.
6. Clicking “Next” will save your configuration and restart Sabnzbd.
Sabnzbd is now configured! Please refer to HTPCBuild.com’s Advance Sabnzbd Configuration Guide to learn about Sabnzbd’s more advance features (recommended). Such as defining folder locations, NZB watch folder, configuring file sorting, and more!
Please also visit HTPCBuild.com’s Sabnzbd Windows Service Install Guide to install Sabnzbd as a service for Windows. By installing Sabnzbd as a service Sabnzbd will run in the background of your computer. You will not need to login to have Sabnzbd run.
You also want to check out the following HTPC software:
Check back often for more guides to help you with your HTPC build!